Sunday, August 14, 2005

Memory, taste, peanut sauce

This is a blog for Shingo, because he asked if I was having any trouble posting. (I actually hadn’t tried for a while, but the answer is yes, as you can see from the split entry.) I’m just writing about the first thing that came to mind.

I’ve heard that smell is supposed to be the sense most closely linked to memory. And there’s often quoted thing from Proust about the madeleines (cookies, it seems) and how eating them opened up his memories to him. But I think that it’s more taste than smell that reminds me of things. Or maybe it’s right after all, and it’s the small of things I’ve tasted that I remember. They say that there are only the 4 tastes—sour, bitter, sweet, salty—and that the rest of the experience is the smell. And I met a man who’d lost his sense of smell, and he got so mad eating lunch, because he couldn’t taste it. Kind of like when you have a cold. But so much of taste is also the texture of the food. And Proust does describe it in this passage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just ask me if you want help making "my" version of "domada." It may not be the same as in your memory, but it might could help or not.

It is good you can identify those tastes that you want. Sometimes I have a yen for some taste, but I am not even sure how to get it. In my youth, my mom used to make some interesting sandwiches and my memory does not capture what it was made of. Nor if I asked her 92-year-old memory would she remember such an obscure thing as that.

sashwee said...

Maybe you should post it here, perhaps someone else will make it too.

Anonymous said...

Amma's DOmada

1 chicken (cut up in bite size pieces)
2 T oil
1 onion finely chopped
3 hot chili's whole or cut up
3 cloves garlic chopped fine
4 potatoes cutup
4 large carrots cut up
1 to 2 cups water
2T tomato paste or substitute water for an equal volume of tomato sauce.
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter


Heat oil. Put in garlic, onion and chili's and lightly brown onion. Add cut up chicken, brown on all sides. Remove chicken and add potatoes and carrots. Stir to coat with oil, then add water or broth and tomato paste or tomato sauce. Return chicken to pan and let it all simmer til potato, carrot and chicken are fully cooked. Mix the peanut butter gradually with an equal volume of water. Gradually stir in to soup and allow to come to a boil. Turn off heat and serve over boiled rice.
Add lime or lemon juice to taste. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Of course, I forgot to mention the salt and pepper to taste. I thought of it as I was driving in the car...