Cleaning out papers I came across a list I started of good books to blog about. It's incomplete and I wondered what to do with it until I had time to finish it and then blog about it, and then I realized that if I just blog about the books already on the list, I could throw the paper away! Sooo....
1. Too Late to Die Young by Harriet McBryde Johnson.
Very clever, funny and strong female lawyer and activist in the south tells her stories. The fact that she is unable to use her limbs is just one of the interesting things about her. She gives some thought-provoking insights into what life is like in a wheelchair.
2. Marriage Beyond Black and White by David Douglas and Barbara Douglas.
The interesting thing to me was to see how a white woman in the U.S. gradually crossed the bridge, i.e. came to understand what it meant to be black in that context. It is also a good love story, started by the wife and finished by their son.
3. Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
I liked the patterns and reverberations between generations of females. I thought the writing was good.
4. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
An environmental treatise, really, but wrapped up seamlessly in an engaging story. (It is a little steamy, in keeping with the theme of prodigal summer.)
5. The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald
I've probably posted about this before, I think it's my favorite novel. The writing is magical, so concentrated and evocative.
6. The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby
Fictional biography of Lady Murasaki, who wrote the Tale of Genji, a Japanese classic. Gives a vivid depiction of Japan 1000 years ago.
That was most of the original list, and while I'm at it I might add.
My Place by Sally Morgan
Candid recount of a woman's discovery of her heritage and identity.
The Last Samurai by Helen Dewitt
Innovative play with the novel as a form and the assumptions made by reader and writer about what you do and don't say. A compelling story.
I know there were more good books recently, I'll think of them...
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for the book reviews :) These days I want to make sure that I really read quality...so it's great when someone can help with selection.
much love to you and baby and dear husband :)
love
amelia
Thanks so much for the recommendations, Selvi. Do list more books when you think of them. The Blue Flower sounds wonderful - I will read it as soon as I can!
Oh Selvi, hi :)
I just love reading about your little family. It always sounds so simple...I bet it probably doesn't feel like that :) but it sounds like it. Peaceful.
I hardly ever get new books out here--not English ones anyway! So I didn't want to spend too much time thinking about the books you've listed. I just thought I'd get jealous of people with English bookstores & libraries down the street!
But when I saw you writing about books AND the post about moms/kids, I was reminded of The Wise Woman by George MacDonald. Have you read it? Whewww... it's good. One of those ones that pops up in my mind on a regular basis. And has definitely influenced the structure of my mind. I think you'd like it :) but I'm not sure if you can get English books...can you?
Love you!!
Anna
I just finished reading "Too Late to die Young," It certainly is an interesting and refreshing view.
Recently I have had to deal with volunteers with various disabilites and her book opened my eyes.
Thanks for the recommend
Love Amma
Dear Amelia and Jane,
Do let me know what you think if you read any of these. I like discussing books.
Anna, I so completely know what you mean about not having access to an English library and not wanting to even think about all the books that you don't get to read. This list actually covers six years or more for first reads, anyway. I'll try to get ahold of the Wise Woman.
And in some ways, our life is pretty peaceful. Life is good.
Amma,
I felt the same way about it. You remember I worked at a home for the handicapped in Denmark, and it was like she was telling me what the things I dealt with from the outside were like from the inside. The people I cared for did not speak.
Post a Comment