I rescued her today when she got a bit of grape stuck in her throat. She used to gag on food a lot and I would always watch closely to see if she was really choking or not, and she always managed it okay without my help. This time was so different. She wasn't gagging, or doing much but looking sort of stunned and turning red and not breathing. I picked her up and tipped her over and smacked her on the back, but it wasn't working, so I stuck my finger in her mouth and dislodged the grape skin and she took a breath. O God O God O God.
Then I just clutched her to me for a moment. And when I opened my eyes I saw a friend standing by, and was about to cry. But he grasped my arm and said gently that I shouldn't let her see me get upset, and then he started talking to her and asked if he could eat the grapes she was still holding in her fists. It meant a lot to me that he told me I'd done a good job. She seemed almost not to have noticed that anything had happened, even when I brought it up later back at home.
I'm not sure if I can let myself contemplate how easily I could lose her.
Monday, August 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Selviiiii...that was such a scary experience but soo glad she was fine with your help (yes you did a good job, well done for the rescue). miss u & L. love, menchie & EM ... will c u soon!
Oh honey, good job for you! and Thank you for a quick thinking friend, yes you are scared, but kids pick up our feeling which may be way out of proportion to their experience.
My hugs for you and Lillian.
That was me Amma that posted the above. I got interupted so I posted it without a signature.
Love to all,
Amma
Selvi! thanks for posting this, I am so glda everything is ok with Lilian! Azamat is starting eating solids now and i am ALWAYS scared that something won't go through his tiny throat! and i am ALWAYS putting my finger into his mouth to check whether there is still something that can choke on and he oesn not like it and styrs when i do it. But God, how i am scared!
Post a Comment