Sunday, July 10, 2005

Knowing oneself

...man should know his own self and recognize that which leadeth unto loftiness or lowliness, glory or abasement, wealth or poverty...

I've been thinking about managing my life force, i.e. energy, motivation, enthusiasm etc. for getting things done and pursuing my objectives in life. I'm convinced that one of the tricks is knowing how to lift my energy when I need to, and how to relax properly. So I'm on a search for ideas to try out. So here are the tag questions. I'm going to send them to friends who have blogs. If you don't have a blog, please respond in a comment. We can get ideas from each other.

The tag questions:
1. Name a few things or activities that lift your spirits and really get you going.
2. Name a few things or activities that drain all of the tension out of your body and mind.
3. What helps you get or stay focused?
4. Are there any things you've tried and taken off the list?

Here are my answers so far:
1. Dancing to music I like, good conversation, looking at the beauty of nature, exercize,
2. A soak in the tub is good for the body, being at the beach, lying on the couch and reading, movies--like books--can be good for taking your mind off things, but whether it is relaxing or not depends so much on the content; I have a feeling some little crafts projects might be good, but I haven't really tried it out systematically.
3. Prayers, reflection, thinking over my day and what happened and how the things I'm working on could have been better.
4. Surfing the net. It is fun but I feel tense and tired afterwards which is the opposite of both objectives.I feel this list is too short. I need a bigger repertoire. Maybe one of your ideas!

4 comments:

Shingo said...

Hi Sashwee.. I've done mine so check it out when you got chance :) Another inspiring list from you!! Well done :)

Shingo said...

Thanks for this great blog entry Sashwee, it's great to hear about some of the things that make you tick :) - amelia

Jane said...

Selvi-

I love your questions and your list. It’s a great start and I’ll add a few things to it.

1.Seeing visual art that makes me feel something. Enjoying good food in good company. Having a really good laugh. Solving a problem. Taking photographs. Singing (or listening to good singing). Traveling to new places. Shopping (yep, me too …)

2.Swimming, followed by a sauna. Yoga, including relaxation. Being nurturing (taking care of an animal, plants, a garden …)

3.Solitary walks in nature. Meditation and breathing exercises. Volunteer work.

4.Hanging out in pubs and bars (days of my misspent youth …)

Enjoy your weekend.

Love,
Jane

Anonymous said...

For now I will just comment on tag question 1.

In Seattle, Washington, there is a dome shaped fountain with computer generated sprouts of water shooting out of it (If you google "Seattle fountain" and click pictures you can see it). In the summer kids of all ages are running around the fountain screaming with joy because they know they are going to get wet but they don't know when. You cannot watch that whole scene without your spirist being lifted and your mood improved.

Love,
Nef