(This is your encouragement, Laura) I was invited to a sushi-making party the other night. One lovely friend hosted it and two other lovely friends gave the lessons, explained where to buy ingredients at a good price, and so on. I was surprised at how easy it is to make once the ingredients are all assembled. It is fun and the sushi is so pretty to look at and delicious to eat! I’m definitely going to make it again. Although I’m very tempted to experiment with brown rice. I wonder if there are any varieties that are sticky enough. And what sorts of healthy fillings could I use? Strongly flavored, preferably vegetarian, not too high in salt…hmmm…sun dried tomato? I don't know...any ideas?
Any way here are some pictures courtesy of no_eva, who was the official photographer of the evening.

Here is the table all set and ready to go. We learned that we didn't have to use mats, but could roll the sushi in paper towels.

Bed of rice laid on which to place fillings. We used egg, imitation crab, smoked salmon, cucumber, tuna with mayonaise, pickled ginger.

We're rolling!
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the finished product. But I can tell you that they looked very convincingly sushi-like.
7 comments:
Hi Selvi,
Ingo and I love rolling our own sushi. We’ve found that cucumber and avocado, with lots of wasabi, is our favourite. We dropped the imitation crab as not so healthy. Then we eat it dipped in shoyu and with lots of pickled ginger. Miso soup and carrot salad (shredded carrot, sunflower seeds, a few raisins and Japanese dressing) are nice accompaniments.
I feel a little sad if you never ate this wth us. :o(
Lovely!! Glad you got your Sushi rolling going!! Looking forward to seeing you guys soon and perhaps enjoying your sushi:)
recently one of our friends came to teach us how to make sushi while we were trying to only speak persian(persian immersion night)! my oldest son ate so much his belly button popped out...obviously we have made it standard fare. we usually fry spinach and carrots with sesame oil and a little wheat-free soy sauce, then we add fresh cucumber, tomato and sometimes cilantro,sometimes avocado...we tend to eat it like a burrito rather than cutting it up...easy to go meal...I like the idea of combining cultural foods...am learning how to make puerto rican pasteles from my neighbor, we made 22 for our first attempt and now we are going to cook all day and make over 200 the second weekend in november.
I hope one day to enjoy making and eating sushi with all of you.
xox
:) hi, dear cousin! i hope someday I live hear you. (although who in the world knows how that could happen! i guess we're getting closer!) i like reading your words. the way you put them together and the heart that they come from.
pip.sq.
Post a Comment