Sunday, May 13, 2007

Breath-taking beauty

I think it was this same day, I took Lillian to the Shrine. The weather was strange. Our hemisphere of sky was full of dust blown in by hot winds. Everything was grey. At four in the afternoon, when we went out, there were some clouds, and sparse rain. The western sky, where the sun was, looked like luminous marble.
As we came around the western side of the Shrine, I looked up and saw the Jacaranda tree, a black lacy silouhette against the softly lit sky. It was just about to bloom, and the roundness of the buds gave grace and promise to the repeating patterns of the branches and twigs. Over to my left stood dark cypresses like the ones in the photo in the link (maybe the same ones). There was a fairly strong breeze. As I stood looking a few birds rose up out of the cypresses, up above the Jacaranda. They threw themselves into the wind, and rode it back, and then climbed again and rode again, like game, trilling together. I could only see the outline of bodies. It was elegant, the lower edge of the wing curving down to the body and then a fish-tail shaped tail. More joined them after a time. Lillian was looking at something else. It was such an arresting moment, the sight, the sound, the movement, the feeling of the wind. It made me so happy.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Selvi,

Your post made me google the Jacaranda tree, as we don't have them in this part of the world - amazing.

A belated Happpy Mothers' Day - your first one!

Love from Jane

Anonymous said...

Yes, Happy Mother's Day new mother. I love your gift of words to describe amazing things in nature. Thanks!

HAppy to be your mother, Amma

sashwee said...

Thank you for the mother's day greetings. Hooray! My first one!

Jane, maybe you'll see jacaranda in Italy on one of your trips. It is a lovely sight when they are in full bloom as they are now here. Such an extravagant get-up!