I've been wanting to make it myself, and have tried from time to time. The first problem is grinding the whole rice and dahl into a smooth batter. My grandma did it in a stone mortar. I hadn't had much luck with a blender, but then my father sent me a super powerful blender and it could handle the job, with a little help from a transformer a friend gave me. The next thing was getting it to ferment. My father was helping me out on my quest and called my Auntie Kamala in Malaysia to ask for directions, as my Grandma is no longer living. I was thinking that maybe Auntie Kamala had learned from my Grandma. She had some very specific advice about the proportions: 3 parts dahl to 8 parts rice, plus a little fenugreek seed. Once the batter is ground, add a little yogurt. And then the most interesting part, whip it by slapping your splayed hand back and forth in the bowl. My theory about this is that it exposes the batter to air, and thus the microorganisms it needs to ferment. The raw dough is a little bitter and "beany", but fermented it is a little sour and very nice.
Anyway I followed the directions carefully several times. Once the batter got sour and tasted more or less right, but it didn't rise. Next time it rose, but did not sour, and when I left it longer, it spoiled. But finally, last time, success. It soured and rose and tasted right to me. Instead of frying it like pancakes I steamed it to make idlis. My friend "Nana" lent me a stand to steam them in (see below) I think if I can get into the habit of making them regularly, it won't be much trouble, and they will be a great food for Lil and for her parents too.
The next step is to figure out what to make to go with them. I've given her some plain and she seemed to like them. She even learned to say "idlis".
Thanks to everybody helping us with this project.

Here is a cute video showing how to make them.
6 comments:
Dear Selvi,
What a good example of persistence paying off. If at first you don't succeed ...
Now I am dying to try idliis, and I have a colleague from Goa who is willing to help make them.
Love,
Jane
OOOooo! Lucky you. Let me know what you think of them.
Love,
Selvi
what a special way for you and Lil to connect with your heritage!
hey Selvi, it looks good, hope to try it one day...and perhaps EM can have some too! Thank you sooo very much again for taking care of my dear EM while I was away (and also to the delicious dish you made). very very grateful to u...Menchie
I am so proud of you that you made idlis at home. We used to always make it at home when i was in India, but since then i have not made it myself completely. I love them:)At the world Centre few Indians tried to make it and it was great success. Good luck for future.
Love,
Minoo
Hello,
hey i know how to make them. I have been trying too, and it turned out good, but some ladies know it better ...
anyways, i love eating them ...
lots of love from mauritius
Nancy
Post a Comment