I found this a while back while clicking links. In my teens and early twenties I tried to protest the beauty industry brainwash in different ways (like preserving leg hair, not picketing). What I've gradually realized is that I cannot escape the whole culture, which is what I was trying to do. Instead I have to make choices, consider different aspects of the thing, and maybe most importantly focus on our inner reality as the true one. More recently I have been less preoccupied with these issues, but now that I have a daughter, I think more about it. I love seeing the way she is so unselfconscious. I think she has only just started to realize that she is the baby in the mirror, and that she can make her reflection do stuff. She is still innocent of vanity. I love seeing the way she uses her body so freely. It has no gender yet, as far as I can see, it is just a way of being in the world that does new things and lets her discover so much. It seems so whole and perfect. I want to protect her from the evil brainwash.
In looking at this video, I decided not to be skeptical about the corporate forces behind it. In a new world order, private enterprise could be informed by higher moral values and contribute to the advancement of society. I don't know what the truth is in this case, and it is probably quite complicated. Why not give it the benefit of the doubt and enourage all that is positive in it?
There is so much discussion behind these few points I mention, but I do not have the stamina to go into all of it now, and I doubt anybody would want to read all of it anyway.
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
sashwee, this was so powerful it made me almost cry. i also have questions about the integrity of that company, but ...
okay shaun just watched it with me again, and this time i really did cry. a lot.
the effect this kind of thing has on women---the world's women, not just western women---is just so devastating, so traumatic.
i recently read a book about a transsexual woman's take on sexism and femininity, and it was revelatory and fascinating. after watching this video, though, i really think she left out this very serious part of women's lives---the onslaught.
please write more about it. i will avidly read and maybe even try to write myself.
love you,
leila
thanks for drawing my attention to this video. i had seen the one entitled "evolution" which i also found eye opening.
Leila, please do write about it, and I will also write more. It's a bit overwhelming to start thinking and writing about it, there's so much there, it's so complex and it cuts so deep.
Post a Comment