Saturday, July 19, 2008
I've been getting organic produce from a place that delivers for a while now. I started doing it for Lillian's sake, because I read that chemicals make a bigger impact on little ones because of their smaller size. But we eat her left overs, and I'm trying to get my diet and hers to converge, so I've been tasting everything. Sometimes the organic produce does not taste much different from conventional but sometimes it very much better. We've been getting sweet corn that is so much better than anything I've eaten for ages. The melon has been great, green peas were lovely, loquats had a lot of taste. And I was thinking that the declining flavor and taste of conventional produce, not to mention the loss of nutrient content, must be part of the reason western diets have become so bad. When something tastes really good, like the corn, you can just cook it a little bit and gobble it up as is. You don't have to smother it in butter or even salt it, or resort to highly processed junk food that addicts your taste buds and poisons your body. It does make a big difference. Some of the stuff I eat would be just awful if it were conventional produce every day, but the flavorfull organics make all the difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I agree with you totally. Organic food is so much better and I have been going to organic stores here all the time. My e-mail address is:Liangl1@aol.com. Look forward to talking to you.
Love,
Liang
We use as much organic food as possible, and it's becoming easier to buy it locally. We've been eating organic corn from Israel that is delicious - and we also eat corn straight, with no salt or butter. It's definitely the way to go!
Thought you might like to see the website of our local organic farm - it's a lovely spot and is just 10 minutes drive away. Enjoy this little taste of Denmark.
http://www.stengaardenoko.dk/
I also noticed the difference of taste with some organic produce. When I was growing up, in my home country we always bought produce as well as fresh poultry and meat from the local markets. We didn't know the word "organic" and perhaps it didn't even exist 20 years ago, but I still remember the taste of eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions that I can never find these days. We ate salad with every meal and our parents hever had to convince us to eat it, there was never enough of fresh produce because everyone loved it. It's all different now though, independant small farmers have been supressed by big companies. Miss you,
Sevda
Post a Comment