Thursday, April 25, 2013

abstaining from pinterest

I have abstained from pinterest for two days now.  I've been busy, so it's not been as hard as it might be.  The first morning, though, I kept wanting to just pop over to the computer for a look.  Not doing that, and thinking about wanting to, made me realize that my pinterest habit stems from a craving for beauty.  So I asked myself whether I would feel satisfied if, say, I were wearing a pretty sweater, and found out that it is not just having beauty in my life, but creating beauty that I crave.  Of course the ironic thing is that, while I feel like I don't have time and focus for creating, I've been regularly spending time, sometimes an hour or more on pinterest.  Well, I've been doing it less recently, but still little minutes here and there put together can make a little knitting or sewing project.  I think what pinterest does for me is to somehow satisfy my creative impulse vicariously, and dissipate the energy that comes from that desire.  I'm experimenting to see if, staying off it, I might produce something instead.  So far I almost finished off a pair of recycled sweater slippers.

No comments: