Conversations I overhear involving my children somehow seem to me particularly precious, as if they offer me greater insight into their thoughts. Not sure why I feel that way.
Recently Ornumber has been particularly contrary towards his sister. He'd say that he loved me and his Baba, but was emphatic that he did not love her, though it was clear, especially at particular moments, that he did. She was wounded. We discussed it. But I was at a loss about how to talk to him about it, because it seemed beyond his conversational ability, though he is very verbal.
But just now I am at the computer and they are in the other room and I overhear the following:
Ornumber to Moosh: I love Mama.
Moosh: Do you love me? (I hold my breath.)
Ornumber: Yes. And I love Baba. Do you love me?
Moosh: Yes.
[...there was more that I didn't write down fast enough]
Ornumber to Moosh: You are my friend.
So sweet, so sweet. What changed? Their conversation segues into a discussion of the film Thumbelina that they've seen recently. I felt when we saw it that it emphasized the romantic more than I preferred for them. But now I wonder whether that has influenced him somehow.
He comes to call me and says "You are Thumbelina and I am Cornelius".
Here is a song he was singing the other day, I scribbled it down so I would remember.
My love for mama is sweet and good
And we play together
And we play with diggers and tractors and fire engines
...
I love mama sweet and good
I love her in the morning and in the afternoon
(He's riffing on songs he knows)
I often wonder about the way children love their parents. Of course it evolves, but in the early years the mama gets to be the sun and the moon. They don't hold grudges and a hug from you makes everything okay. It is not always the most convenient thing, but it is a privilege and a lesson in love.
Sunday, April 07, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for word pictures, and sharing all that love.
Amma
Post a Comment