Thursday, January 02, 2014

Snippets to save from December 2013

I'm doing a newspaper Sudoku puzzle, L2 climbs into my lap and takes the pencil. He is interested in the word search. He asks: "Should I look for rotten poop or loving kindness?"

***

The grocery total is always bigger when I let Siyamak come shopping with me. Case in point: As we approach the grocery store, he asks "Should I take part of the list, or should I just wander around and..."
And what? Grab whatever strikes your fancy? Pull things off the shelves randomly? Umhm, I suspected as much. Well at least he's going crazy in the grocery store and not at the fancy electronic gadget store or the car dealership.


***
Moosh and I went to a Christmas play today. It was sweet and touching. When we got home we got a summary of what had transpired in our absence: They were playing attic when we got home. Baba was L2's "little sister". They had seen a movie and it was scary so L2 held "little sister's" hand. After that they saw another movie that was nice.
"What was it about?" I asked.
Baba said, "Tell her what it was about."
L2 looks at me and says, deadpan and very matter-of-factly, "Falling in love."


****

My high school friend Leslie tagged me to write 10 things about my pregnancies. I'm a few days late, and I'm not sure I have 10, but here goes...
1. I had doulas for both pregnancies, and I’m really glad I did.
2. When my daughter was in my belly we used to play a game. She would kick and then I would tap three times in the same spot, and often she would kick again.
3. After she was born, she... had to go to the ICU for a day. I went back and forth from my room to nurse her, but it was pretty stressfull.
4. Then after we were released from hospital, we had to readmit her for treatment for jaundice, and go home without her for one night. It was really hard for me, though looking back I think it didn’t need to be as hard as it seemed at the time. At the time I felt like these things interfered with our bonding process.
5. But then one day when she was still really tiny, I was holding her in my lap and she curled up her legs in a position that I guessed was the one she’d been in in the womb. So I did my little three taps on her foot. She reacted with a joy that was so vivid that it surprised me. But I felt that it was a moment of recognition between us of what we were to each other.
6. With my son, it was so much easier. I was so relaxed after the birth and just enjoyed the time getting to know him. Just looking at him would give me afterpains (if you know what this means, then you know what it means)
7. I felt that my daughter and I had been robbed of this baby honeymoon.
8. But I decided to let the experience with my son be his gift to her and to me, in helping me to just relax and enjoy her more too.
9. My daughter was born during the ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon, so her middle name means "peace".

1 comment:

Liz said...

Ah! I love the baby kick story. When does consciousness begin? Delightful to ponder.