Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Logic

When I was expecting L2, a woman with an older daughter and younger son told me about how the girl was intensely verbal and the son just the opposite.  So somehow I think I assumed since I already had the one, a chatty girl, I should expect the other, a reticent boy.  He certainly didn't learn to speak as quickly as she did, and at the same time walked much sooner, so my assumption seemed confirmed.  I let my husband off the hook with speaking Persian to him, because he thought it might be better to wait until L2 established himself in English.  We needn't have worried.  Once he did start talking he really took off and is chattering away since.  I haven't been as faithful at recording his language development as I was of Moosh's, when I would make lists of the words she was using etc.  But here are some fun "mistakes" which, as is so often the case, reveal a delightfully perfect, if not conventional, logic.

At home L2 usually insists on wearing shorts and T-shirt, even in cold weather.  When we go out, I have to insist on warmer clothing, and usually end up agreeing to let him keep the shorts on under his long pants.  So I was surprised to see him appear in the kitchen in fleece pants, and a sweatshirt zipped up with the hood on (his father had delivered an ultimatum).  "Nice outfit" I said.

He looked at me like I'd make a confusing mistake.  "Its a home-fit," he replied.


Of course he says the classic "outside-out" and "upside-up".  They do make as much sense as "right-side-out and right-side-up".  I'm tempted to adopt them permanently


Also, he uses his hammer for "hamming" and his screwdriver for "screwdriving."


And sometimes he says (they both do) "amn't" for "am not".  As in "I amn't ready for my bath yet."

Naturally.