Wednesday, October 24, 2007

the tree that you come home to

I don't know if you have seen the movie "Wit"; I recommend it. But see it when you're in the mood for moving and thought-provoking as opposed to happy-ending. Anyway, there is a scene where an old professor climbs into the hospital bed of a cancer patient and reads to her a children's book, "The Runaway Bunny" by Margaret Wise Brown. She comments that it is a parable of the soul. I hadn't seen the book before, but a friend sent it when Lillian came. The bunny is telling his mother that he wants to run away and what he's going to do, and she keeps telling him how she get him back. "If you become a bird and fly away from me...I will be a tree that you come home to"



And there she is. It was funny that I didn't connect the two until a friend that I showed both of them to pointed it out to me.

Does anybody remember how their parents taught them about God? Or moments of insight they had as children?

1 comment:

amelia said...

ah! so sweet to see that tree. Shingo and I used to fondly call her our Dr. Seuss tree. So precious and such an important tree in the landscape of my memories. Thanks for posting. Lots of love, amelia