Her imagination is starting to show. She held up a plastic label to the side of her face and said "hello, hello". And today I gave her her bowl and spoon to play with, and she pantomimed eating. She's also been trying to put on clothes and shoes.
Some time ago a friend commented on how much of what her little son saw and touched every day was artificial. I think she mentioned a toy chicken instead of a real chicken. It really got me thinking, looking at all our plastic toys. She sees a lot of pictures in books (sometimes pictures of toys). (Actually she's learned lots of words from books. It amazes me that little ones can be so good at recognizing abstractions) So I've been looking for ways to let her experience "real" things more. Here are some ways I've found.
There is a hiking trail that starts fairly near where we sometimes go shopping. We've started exploring it.

It was great letting her sit on the ground and touch stuff and get dirty.

I've startetd using candles at night. I put them on after dinner while we just relax a bit together and we use them during bathtime and story time. I find it relaxing and think she does too. She learned the words "candle" and "shadow" right away.
Now that it is dark sooner, she gets a chance to see the real moon. Because we had the candles, we noticed a beautiful harvest moon rising over the mountains across the bay the other night.

I try to find natural materials and objects that are baby-safe for her to explore (some of them only under supervision). So far we've looked at feathers, a wooden box, a woven basket, jade and quartz beads, sticks and branches, my microgreens.

Gravel.
One last pic. Reading with Baba.
3 comments:
Thank you
Selvi, I LOVE IT! It's the next best thing to being there. (SOB,SOB)
Do you remember walking into the chicken "yard" in Gambia and trying to pick up a chicken. It tried to fly away and was a bit rude to you with its flapping wings. Talk about real!
Keep up the good inventive mothering. I love the pictures reading with BAba and inspecting the gravel and leaves and hiking with MAma
Thanks again and XOXOXOX from Amma.
:) I love the pictures, too!!
!he chicken stories make me think of a family i rented a guest house from when i was in college. One day i was rushing to school and the 2 or 3 year-old-daughter, Tessa, came around the side of the house singing, "Turkey lurkey, turkey lurkey." She was carrying a shocked chicken by the feet and the neck. I'll never forget. I almost fell over--half mortified, half laughing!
That makes a TON of sense about "real experiences." Good work, Mama!
Love,
Ppsqk
great chicken stories, I laughed out loud.
Post a Comment