Last night I was talking with friends about how I make up for the lack of adult conversation in my life at home with a baby (though she must know at least 20 words by now). I find company online, mostly blogs written by women, some of them moms, some craftistas. They do feel like friends in the way characters in a novel feel like people you know. But, I concluded, even though I leave comments sometimes, it is a bit of a one way thing.
But this morning it isn't. I've been following the blogs of Melissa Wiley, an author and homeschooling mother of 5. I find her quite inspiring. Recently, when she wrote about music recommendations from her husband Scott, I asked whether he might suggest something for a baby. I've been wanting to expose Lillian to a range of music, but am having trouble doing the research to find good stuff to start with. Today she posted the reply, which besides containing just the type of information I wanted (and he understood perfectly about too much drama in a lot of classical music), was very funny. I feel so honored. Here's the post. Lillian and I both have moustaches, wonder if we might benefit in that area too.
Friday, October 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I was just contemplating today about introducing Bella's class, 3-4 year old kids to classical music and here I read about your interest to introduce Lillian to it. I looked at the response of Mr. Stossel who is an expert in music and mustache grooming :-)cool! I haven't even heard of some composers that he mentioned. Vivaldi, "the 4 seasons" is also great for children, that was 1 of the 1st classical music piece I was introduced to as a child. For Bella's class though I was thinking of "carnival of the animals" by Saint-Saens, which would involve their imagination.
I love your blog and your thoughtful approach to raising your princess. Love from Sevda
Hi Selvi, Thanks so much for sharing Scott's post. I love the French composers he recommends. We have an old LP of solo piano music by Ravel, Debussy and Grieg which is one of our favorite classical albums. I hope you can find something both and Lillian will enjoy.
Ok, this isn't about music at all. But, Selvi, do you have any idea how to nurse a little indoor orange tree back to health? I have a little one and it's dying a slow sad death. Maybe because it shouldn't be inside. But I don't think it could make it outside here--too cold in the winter. I'm getting to my wits end.
Dear Sevda,
The "Carnival" and "Four Seasons" are good suggestions. I'll add them to the list. Love to you and your beautiful family.
Dear Jane,
I was just thinking that I should ask you for your recommendations. Solo piano sounds good. Can you give me the title? Maybe the record is out in CD.
Dear Anna,
I'm doom to any houseplant (so far) but I've been reading about raising them, so from a theoretical perspective I'd wonder if it is getting enough sun light, or does it need fertilizer? I think it would be too cold for it outside (I looked up Ljubljana) in winter, but it may be hard for it to get enough sunlight inside. In winter it will need less water and fertilizer indoors, unless your heating system makes it very dry. Hope these ideas help.
oh you MUST get lillian some of the putamayo collections and play them to her for me...
http://www.putumayo.com/
i LOVE putamayo collections...reggae playground for kids is so great. i listen to it myself all the time. also the asian dreamland.
if i had kids i would get them ALL i love them so much
http://www.putumayo.com/en/putumayo_kids_cd.htm
lots of cool stuff for non-kids too mind you...and the kids/non-kids distinction in putamayo doesn't make that much sense actually.
I would recomend Carl Nielsen - tågen letter. A most beautiful peace of music - that is, if you want to keep the little darling quiet. I recently heard a interwiev with the entertainer Sigurd Barret - he belives that classical music, should be a natural part of the upbringing of any child. He play with the music on the childrens level. http://netbutik.dr.dk/ecommerce-products/view?product_id=863
Love Lisbeth
Post a Comment