Sunday, September 30, 2007

Princess fig

I never liked fresh figs until our doula brought us some from her own tree, and they were so delicious. Ambrosial. This is it's natural region, and it grows like a weed. I've seen a tree growing out of what seemed to be a wall of rock. It was in a "wadi", a dessert ravine with a spring running through it, so maybe they need that moisture source. Figs are one of the first known cultivated plants

They are so humble-looking with their squatty tear-drop shape and the thin tender skin that so easily gets damaged. I saw a lady in the fruit and veggie market peel the skin off one in a quick movement and pop it into her mouth and have been practicing the same technique. Under the skin is a web of fibers running through the white spongy capsule that holds the soft sweet heart of the fruit. The inside is a beautiful darker or lighter rose, shiny with moisture. It looks like almost-molten glass, white-threaded and gold-speckled.

It was this time last year that our doula brought me the figs. This year I'm feeding them to Lillian. I love it, it seems so exotic, or should I say native. Like I'm fostering a little Wadi princess. She has Oriental blood (Persian, surely mixed with Arabian), perhaps very appropriately diluted or enriched with Indian blood (Tamil) from the east and European (French-Irish-Scotch-Welsh-German-English) blood from the west. Wonder if, when she's grown and flow to other climes, she'll sometimes get a hankering for fresh figs, like I long for a proper mango.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, fresh figs. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

(and I'm so hungry - it's just before my lunch break ... :o))

child_of_africa said...

i love this...
"Wonder if, when she's grown and flow to other climes, she'll sometimes get a hankering for fresh figs, like I long for a proper mango."
you are writing again...:) hope that it continues. kisses to lillian

Anonymous said...

First off, I didn't know we're French...hmm. Somehow I missed that one in the list. I was there on vacation in early September, without even knowing that I belong there. Pity.

Second, figs are gorgeous. I absolutely agree. Funny how exotic they seem, huh? My favorite part is that the inside is a complete secret. Mysterious like pomegranites. If I ever get to visit, will you teach me how to peel one?

I think of you surprisingly often. :) Much love.

sashwee said...

xox to three lovely women

Dear Jane,
I can't remember if we got fresh figs in DK. Wasn't fresh fig attuned then, I guess.

Thank you for reading and being encouraging Child of Africa. I'm looking for a photo to post for you.

Anna,
It's on Grandpa's side, as far as I remember, but I could be wrong. Pomegranites do have a similar mystery magical secret treasure inside, I agree.
If that's what it takes to get you to come, I will do my best to perfect the technique and my pedagogical skill in prepration, and you must come in fig season. Likewise, both about you and your possible visit, though it is not surprising to me. :)

Sevda and Michael Teske said...

Figs are very common in my homeland too which is close to Iran. There are different kinds of "enjeer", and the one that grows in our summer house yard has yellow honey-sweet fruit. It tastes best and is most abundant if the summer was really hot and was followed by abundant rain. I love fig jam with whole fruit in its syrup, yummm! Bella got to pick some fresh figs when we visited my family this past summer.
Love from Sevda