Yesterday we went for a walk. I'd bought some yarn and found when I came home that it was a blend and not the pure wool I wanted. So we walked down to the yarn shop on an adventure path by guessing the way. The weather is turning to fall with a cool breeze. On the way we passed a tree reaching over two benches. As we paused, two old Russian ladies exclaimed over Lillian, who was riding happily in the carrier. So we went over to say hello. They were delighted, held her hand and kissed it, jiggled her foot. She was a little reserved. They asked me questions I didn't understand and I tried to guess what they wanted to know and answered with sign language. "She is 13 months old. She has 7 teeth."
We overshot our target by a couple blocks, but discovered a shop that sells the Persian block print fabric I like so much (it's a little expensive), and another yarn and notions shop too.
Today we took another walk through some of the wild areas of the Bahai properties over to the terraces and back down across the Arc. She really liked the fountains, and I found it so relaxing to see all the plants and the wonderful view. I brought home a rock for her. I'm trying to find things made from natural materials for her to play with. She really wants to play with leaves and flowers, but I don't know what's safe and what's not so I don't let her do much with them.
I've been enjoying the No Impact Man blog. It makes me feel like trying harder to make my life the way I want it to be. Sometimes there is a unity of good things, the ecofriendly choice is also cheaper, or healthier or more aesthetically satisfying, or all three. I don't know whether I'll start them soon, but here are some projects I've been thinking about: making my own granola with no sugar, growing sprouts and microgreens, knitting a pair of wool longies for Lillian (hence the yarn shopping), decluttering and reorganizing the flat, starting a houseplant or two (haven't tried for a while) particularly ones that clean the air and are baby safe.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment