Saturday, November 10, 2007

tagged

Leila has tagged me with a meme, my first time too. Gosh, I feel a little nervous and want to see what the others wrote. I know some of them. In fact one of them is an old and dear friend, and it's so delightful that she and Leila have hooked up. I believe I can take credit on this blog. My own little internet experience. As is this meme.

So seven random and/or weird facts about myself.

1. I can do the whistle riff in "Me and Julio Down By the School Yard" and can almost do the tin whistle riff in "You Can Call Me Al".

I got stuck here and tried to cheat by checking the other taggees, but no one had posted their meme yet.

2. I once spent two weeks in a village on the island of Borneo with no toilets. No one would really share with me the particulars of how one managed. I brought a small trowel with me, but never saw anybody else heading out in the bush similarly armed. I think the reason was that digging in the forrest disturbs the wildlife, as I found out when I got bitten by ants and scared away a snake. Just as I was leaving, the toilets for the village arrived.

I checked I love a kiwi, who tagged Leila. We have some things in common (like whistling) but I'm only allowing myself one copycat item.

3. In highschool I played Helen in The Miracle Worker and had to use the sign alphabet. I used to practice by spelling along to conversations etc and it became a habit. I wonder what people think if they notice my hand at my side twitching into funny positions during a conversation or while I'm walking down the street.

4. When I've really liked an author I read their entire opus, or at least everything I can get ahold of. I've done this with Louisa May Alcott, Madeline L'Engle, Lloyd Alexander, John Holt, Penelope Fitzgerald, Virginia Woolf, Jane Austen, and more recently Tracy Hogg.

Though I was aspiring to weird, I think I can only make random.

5. When we first moved from Liberia to California I was eight and I struggled so hard to make sense of everything. Once I was listening on the car radio to a sad love song and convinced myself the the radio static was the sound of the lovelorn singer blowing his nose while crying. I told this story to Leila once and she gave me look of shocked recognition because she'd experienced something similar (as she mentioned recently on her blog).

6. The first time I got the wind knocked out of me it was falling out of a guava tree. I don't really like guavas.

7. I have eaten (with apologies to vegetarian friends, and, I suppose, to the victims themselves) snail, termites, whale meat (fresh and fermented)and blubber, and fermented seal meat.

Now I tag seven other bloggers (though I'm not sure I have enough readers who are currently blogging to do this). I may have to some of them in person "I don't know if you checked my blog recently, I mean, not that I expect you to or anything, but I tagged you." A little bit of a backwards twist on the internet experience, but a nice one.

And now I tag: Sevda, my cousin Anna in Slovenia, Tahmina, Menchie, Sarah, Lindsay who is on a cruiseand Pipfugl in Denmark

I think moms should be allowed to include random and/or weird facts about their little ones if they like.

9 comments:

leila said...

i LOVE this list! and how can you say that the foods you've eaten, no toilets in borneo, and that radio static thing aren't weird?

for me this is one of the best random/weird lists i've ever read.

p.s. i found it hard, too. and then afterwards when i anxiously watched shaun's face as he read the list to see whether he thought it was as weird/random as i'd tried to make it, he was like, Yeah, it's fine. I know you, so i've heard all those things before. But it's fine.

and it was then that i thought about making ANOTHER list of things that shaun definitely doesn't know about me. to shake him out of his complacency.

sashwee said...

I was wondering how you possibly could have come up with your list while there was stuff going on around you. I really liked the different weights the items had, if you know what I mean. Maybe you should start a meme that is 7 things your husband does not know about you.

child_of_africa said...

ha! you are posting AGAIN!! so many posts with so many delicious pictures! i have just set up a google reader and will now put your blog into it.

hello there hello there and thanks indeed for starting me blogging and for leading me to discover my all time biggest blogger inspiration--Love from Leila.

sashwee said...

c of a, the pix with me in them are for you because you asked. I hope that you and leila will meet in person some day, it will be great pleasures on both sides, and how I wish I could be there too
xox

Mara Noelle said...

Sashwee, thanks for putting me onto the meme. Life gets hectic, you know.... And I checked out your blog specifically to see whether you'd done it and help me along in my own ideas. :-)

child_of_africa said...

yay! thanks thanks then for the pictures and keep them coming please.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a meme? It sounds like the "Screaming meme" you used to accuse your sister of being, back in the day.

I had hoped by just reading on I could figure it out, but it didn't happen.

Love

AMMa in CA

sashwee said...

A meme (I believe it is pronounced Meem) in the world of blogging is a little set of questions that somebody tags you to answer on your blog and then you tag others to do the same and so on. I think it is related to a concept used by social scientists who try to apply evolution theory to social life. It is analagous to a gene because it is passed on but changes a little as it goes along.

Lindsay Lamar said...

Oh my gosh! I'm just now getting a chance to catch up on friend's blogs (after cruise and then MOVING). So I just noticed the tag. I'll have to start mulling over my answers and hopefully blog soon.

I'll see you in Haifa in a bit! My brother and I arrive for Pilgrimage on January 5th!

-Lindsay-