So the olives are sitting in brine, which I keep changing at varying intervals. I keep tasting them, too, and they are still quite bitter, but I feel that they are also getting a little tough, so I don't know if I need to stop curing them. I was thinking that if I did it longer they would get less bitter. They have a nice flavor though.
We went to the zoo this week. It was fun. It's been a while since we went, and I noticed a big increase in how much she observed, or at least described. The running commentary on a baboon: "it has hands, it's eating, it's touching the dirt with it's hands, it has knees".
We visited the petting zoo, and there was a really nice zoo guy that let her help feed the rabbits and "Pinnygigs" (guinea pigs), and let her choose which ones she wanted to him to catch so she could pet them. One of the pinnygigs was very, very pregnant, and others less so, so we're planning to go back to see the babies.
At one point Moosh asked me what a young girl, maybe 10 or so, was eating. I answered in English that I thought she was eating a cookie, and I don't think Moosh said any more. The girl noticed, and then she disappeared, returning in a few minutes to offer one of the cookies to Moosh. I was touched, but refused, because I don't give her sugar. Then later as we were leaving she was saying something about two young teenagers sitting on a bench as we passed them, and I turned to look at them. One of them had noticed Moosh's interest, and motioned to me with her bag of chips, offering some for her. People in shops are also always offering her candy. It's a really sweet impulse, and another example of how caring they are her toward children, and how there is a culture that allows people to make these gestures. Too bad they are offering sugar an not broccoli.
No comments:
Post a Comment