We've travelled up the California coast. It's so beautiful. My mom, my sister, my daughter and I went up to Nipomo to visit my Aunt and Uncle and my Grandma (L.s Greatgrandma or "G.G.ma" (read "jeejeema") as she is known in our family. We had a nice visit with them. G.G.Ma is in a home and is not always very clear about things, but we had some nice exchanges with her. I was rubbing her foot and she looked at me and said, "You're crazy." I asked why and she said, "Well, why are you treating my feet so nicely?". I told her that her feet had been carrying my Grandma around for 90 years (she just turned 96, so that's rounding down) and they deserved a lot of respect. She said "You're a nut." I reminded her that I had her genes.
It was nice to bring her and Lillian together.
We enjoyed visiting my Aunt and Uncle, we talked, did puzzles (a family tradition), ate good food. It was lovely. The next day a very close friend of the family joined us and we continued up the coast to Bosch Bahai School. We came for a session on using music in local community gatherings. It's a beautiful place in the middle of the redwood forrest, away from everything. It's great to let L. explore the forrest and playgrounds and just have some time with friend and family away from life's normal distractions. I'm not really participating in the sessions, but I was prepared for that.
While we are here, I'm reconnecting with a couple of childhood friends ( we've known each other almost 30 years). They lived across the street from us for 10 years, we went to school together and so on. My sister is also close friends with their younger sister, and actually my mom knew their mom's younger sister growing up too. So it was really nice to reconnect and catch up. We'll be introducing the third generations of our families to each other today. Fun!
Tomorrow we'll head back down. Stopping again with my Aunt and Grandma. We're really enjoying the trip.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i'm so glad you're having a wonderful trip! i know it's the other side of the country, but if you're heading through boston for any reason, let me know. missing you both heaps.
We would love to see you and Lili if you decide to come to Baltimore. I know how much the trip means to you. It is such a wonderful way to show Lili CA. I am sure all your family members can't get enough of her. Can't believe how big she is now.
Love,
Liang
Post a Comment