Sunday, December 30, 2012

Kiki and Clifford

This summer we had fun watching Kiki's Delivery Service.  We did it one night with friends and my Moosh watched it a number of times while I put L2 down for his nap.  So when Halloween came, she decided she wanted to be Kiki.  I decided I was going to make the costume using stuff we had, and I did, with the exception of two bottles of acrylic paint that we used to get the right shade for the bow and shoes.  On Halloween night we only got a couple sodden pictures, but one afternoon recently she put the costume on and I decided to get some better pics. 

 
She helped me make the broom out of packing materials left over from our trip, and Jiji was made out of one of her Baba's old socks. 

On Halloween her har was long and we'd tried to pin it up into the right style. Here she's just had it cut.  She'd asked to have a style like Kiki's, insisting on short bangs that fell in clumps.  (She's very detail oriented, like her Baba.)  We even put the little high oval rouge spots on this time.




She got the idea that the rouge spots only looked right when she wasn't smiling, so she tried to keep a straight face the whole time: 


I, of course, was trying to get a smile:

 
 
Or something.
 
 

 And Mr. Lou was lurking (mostly) just out of the camera's range the whole time:



Why didn't I take some with him?! 

He was Clifford for Halloween:
ears

tail

I admit, all my energy went into the Kiki costume.  And for him we were recycling a very minimal costume I'd made last summer.  But he was happy with it.

9 comments:

Shira19 said...

This blog post makes me soo happy! I miss their beautiful faces! Love your creativity and your little girls imagination! :)

Izzat said...

Hey Selvi, welcome back to this space :):) Your children are so beautiful. You've whipped up a great kiki costume. Shiori went as kiki a couple of years ago to a friends dress up party…I find it sweet that our girls, across the globe, will have common dress up stories to share one day when they meet again :) xoxox

Jane in DK said...

I love what you did with that sock. :)

sashwee said...

Izzat, any chance you could send us a picture of Shiori as Kiki? I'd love to see it and show L.

Thanks Jane :) It was an into the night project, but fun. I hadn't told her I was doing it, hoping to surprise her, but the first thing she said was, "His ears are too big!" See what I mean about detail orientation? Though I think she was right.

Anonymous said...

Hi Selvi, I just realised that I left a comment on your blog the other day when I was logged into my mums account (i'm visiting them at the moment) :) it was actually from me, amelia!! I'll try to find a photo of kiki shiori and send it along! lots of love xo

Liz said...

I definitely will have to find Kiki's Delivery Service! Never heard of it. Must be the wrong generation :) Love to all!

sashwee said...

O Amelia,
It was you! Please do send a photo if you can find it. I told Lillian about it and she's eager to see. BTW we just saw Totoro and she is trying to find a Japanese person to ask whether the word "Totoro" means something of if it's just a made up name.

Lots of love,
Selvi

sashwee said...

Aunt Liz,
I think you'll like it. And will probably want to share it with grandkids in the future. Let me know.
We can also recommend Totoro. Watch it first, though, before deciding who to let watch it.
Love,
S

child_of_africa said...

ooohh lovely pics of the lovely LOVELIES!! great costume!