Last week was My Beloved Husband’s birthday. [He has himself specifically requested that he be referred to as “My Beloved Husband” on this blog. I asked because some of the blogs I read use nicknames for characters that appear frequently in the author’s life and I like that.]
Anyway, neither of us come from big birthday families, so often our B-days go by without anything happening, except that we promise each other to do something together sometime soon in celebration. But one of our close friends here comes from a Big Birthday Family, and her husband is happy to support her schemes, so they cooked up a birthday surprise for MBH. Or baked up a surprise, I should say, more precisely: a cake--chocolate with vanilla frosting and sprinkles.
My part in the enterprise was very small, but it was the source of great emotional exercise. We brought the cake to the kitchen in his department and invited a few people in the building to surprise him. I was so nervous, trying to set it up. We had to change the time at the last minute, so I didn't know if anyone would be there. The worst part was telling him not to eat dessert at lunch, because I knew he’d regret it when he saw the birthday cake. He obeyed, but looked so sad and cute I almost fell over with nausea [I was also a bit dehydrated, so that might have something to do with it].
When the time came and I was suppose to fetch him, he wasn’t in his office, and people were waiting, and I knew he’d need to leave right away afterwards. I ended up poking my head into the mens’ room and disturbing him there. But finally I got him into the kitchen and we really surprised him. He looked stunned when he realized it was a birthday party, and he was very touched by all the efforts of our friends, and by everyone joining us. It was so sweet.
O, and I put the wrong number of candles, indicating that he was 2 years older than he actually is. Ooops! He’s so young. Actually Abu-Leila (another nickname, I like this) told him to make a wish and MBH thought for a second and then said, “I was going to wish that I wouldn’t get any older, but that's probably not a good idea."
I agree.
Thursday, April 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
happy birthday happy birthday to YBH :)
祝你生日快乐! 祝你生日快乐! 祝你生日快乐! 祝你生日快乐!
i sang him happy birthday in chinese as I typed that above. i have no idea if your computer is able to display chinese characters but it was worth a try :)
Chinese characters coming in Loud and Clear. Well, assumedly, since I wouldn't be able to tell if they were written in Chinese "Arabic" or something. But thank you, I'll pass it on.
Post a Comment