Friday, April 08, 2005

windy day

Strong dry, warm, dusty winds . Remind me of the Santa Anas that used to blow across our school field and play ground, creating piles of dry leaves along the fences, and creating static electricity that tickled your nose, made your hair stand on end and gave you a little TZZZZ! every time you touched someone or metal.

The winds here are not electric, thankfully. It was violently windy all night. This morning I couldn't open the front door, and thought I was confused about the locks until I yanked hard and realized that it was the difference in air pressure holding the door shut. So strange. Outside the trees looked like changing exhibitions for the early-morning-bad-hair-day-look: one side flat the other side all over the place. Some of the almonds had fallen off the tree I pass, but they looked like they had all been bitten into by something. . Only the cypress trees look good, having a big dance party. And the bay, which was marbled with white foam far out to sea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

today after my lunch of persian rice, indian style lentils and yogurt i thought...hmmm i wonder what dear selvi is up to and i was able to achieve instant gratification by clicking on my selvi poste haste link and catching up with you and The Gardens :) your descriptions take me back to my solitary walks at Bahji so vividly that i can almost feel the quality of the light enveloping me.

it is feeling like spring here in the city too. the daffodils are out followed every day by a new surprise of flowers on some hitherto unnoticed and inconsequential bush or tree. the world outside really makes one feel the need for some kind of a celebration and i decided to do just that by undertaking some spring cleaning. i have a great deal more to do but the effects on my inner being have been immediate. i feel that the accomplishment of each new chore is the vanquishing of another bad habit ...the only negative inkling being a fear that the newness will be as ephemeral as the glorious display of flowers on a certain tree on my way to school.

and then there is also The Writing Project to be working on...thinking of it makes me aware of the tightness in my forehead and shoulders...I endeavor to make a deal with myself to sit at my computer and look at nothing else but The Project for two hours whether I accomplish anything substantial or not and I find that on the rare occasions that i succeed in gluing myself ot my seat by the end of the two hours i am tapping away merrily and have found a direction and time has become inconsequential and completely ignored until another pressing concern emerges such as sleep or another prior engagement. it is all about flow...

speaking of which time to reapply myself.

much love to you dear selvi...anonymous tc

sashwee said...

I meant to tell you that your writing advice (which was 15 minutes/day when you told me about it) has been quite helpful. I'm doing about an hour a day, which is great. I hope to work up to longer stretches, or maybe two stretches with a break in between.