Tuesday, April 05, 2005

garden notes

The almond trees, which were the first to bloom, now have little fuzzy green almonds on them. I can't reach any on the tree I pass on the way to work, otherwise I'd like to open one up and taste the green almonds. My mother in law, when she visited us in Denmark, introduced me to green chessnuts, plucked off a tree at the park. I wonder if almonds taste good that way.

The anemonies are blazing away. One bed that I see every day is planted with all-red anemonies hovering over all-violet pansies.

There is also a wisteria trained to grow along a railing. when it first came out, the new leaves were almost the same color as the flower buds, sort of an olivepurple. Now the buds have opened and there are so many it's like a waterfall of blooms over the railing.

Other trees are blooming too. One crazy orange spike tree with bare branches. I've heard people calling it a flame tree, which describes it perfectly.

Sometime I think it's so extravagant to have a whole tree covered with flowers. In Denmark the first few springs I used to get this tightness in my chest, desparate somehow that I couldn't look closely at each bloom and new leaf while they were there, even on one tree, let alone on all the ones I passed, let alone all the ones in the country.

No comments: