Thursday, June 16, 2005

any other name

Sorry for the long silence. I think of things to blog sometimes, but sitting myself down to write is another story. When I first started, I felt like everything suggested a blog entry. Sometimes I didn’t like that. But it’s also nice to have the blog in the back of my mind, making me more observant of things around me and also making me turn over in my mind how to describe them.

Here is one of the things I was “incubating” (as a friend who visited recently would say).

Plants and animals named after other plants and animals are often lovely or fun metaphors. Here is a little collection.

Two trees that grow here:
Butterfly tree—the rounded leaves grow in symmetrical pairs, and the flowers too, which look especially butterfly-like.
Coral tree—the most common tree has orangey-red flowers that look like clusters of slightly curved pipes.

Because of smell:
Rose geranium, lemon verbena, pineapple guava,

Foreign things compared with familiar:
African violet, African daisy, (and in Danish cyclamen is called Alpine violet)

In Persian a rabbit is called a “donkey-ear” and a strawberry is called a “foreign mulberry”.
An ostrich is called a “camel chicken”. Egg is the same word as “seed”. So an ostrich egg is a “seed of a camel chicken”.

Here’s one for you to guess: What do you think a “camel cow leopard” is?
Think twice and when you think you know, click here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got it right! I knew there was a reason I'm a translator :-)

Love,

Lafeministe

Anonymous said...

And furthermore . . . I have - on occasion - been likened to a 'camel cow leopard' myself. Now, perhaps, one might understand why I do not appreciate the reference?!

Lafeministe

Jane said...

Do you know what a "cow catcher" is? It's not a plant or animal, but it's my favorite word in Danish - it makes me laugh every time I hear someone say it!

sashwee said...

Good job Lagirafeminist! :) Do people say that because you're tall or is there some other giraffish quality you have? Yellow fur with brown spots? Antlers?

Jane, I do know what a cow catcher is. And you've reminded me of the many farm-related expressions there are in Danish.

Laura said...

I didn't know there was such a thing as a coral tree...you have made me interested in researching this and eventually creating some sort of art piece related to it...the ones I have found online are lovely...what do they look like in Haifa? this made me wonder if there was such a thing as a pearl tree...and I found some lovely poetry entitled "pearl tree"
http://home.online.no/~solibakk/odys/saltpt3.html

is it a donkey ear for a rabbit?

kisses to you.

Anonymous said...

Sigh... it's all about the neck, apparently, Sashwee!

Lafeministe

sashwee said...

Thanks for the correction Laura. I fixed it.

sashwee said...

Laura, the tree looks something like this:

http://www.cnr.umn.edu/FR/extension/Pictures/Dsc01404.gif

I just remembered your special interest in coral (and pearls).