One thing that I learned in Denmark about creating a home for yourself somewhere, is that you have to look for things that you like. You have to make a running mental list of things around you that make you happy, lift your spirits, give you pleasure. It was a turning point for me in Denmark when I started doing this. It’s a little like befriending someone, discovering things you share, remembering their jokes and opinions.
I thought of this recently and have started a little list. Aside from the holy places, in the city I have found:
1. A sandwich shop run by a lady who loves making sandwiches. She can never conceal her eagerness when she asks "Do you want all the spices?" because she makes her own spice mix and thinks no sandwich is good without it. The sandwiches are great, but I go there just for the experience of having a sandwich made for me by her.
2. An English used book shop that gives half back on returned books. There is one shelf with stuff I'm interested in...good fiction and some non-fiction, which is not a lot but it's still a boon.
3. Magazines past the issue date are sold cheap in some book shops. I haven't seen any I want yet, but you never know...
4. A flower shop which has pretty good prices. I like the challenge of selecting a cheap bunch and something to go with them to make a nice bouquet. The man there fixes up my el cheapo selection as carefully as if they were an expensive bouquet.
Hmm...so far only shops. I must be in consumption mode. I'll have to think about that.
Saturday, June 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love this idea of coming up with a list of things you like ...i always thought having my little family would be all that I would need if we were to move somewhere outside of my known environment...but, I think you are right...and, part of the reason I try and make the foods of my immigrant husband's homeland...thank you for making me ponder...I'll have to find out whats on my husband's list.
This so sucks! I posted this huge long comment and then I think I closed the window without publishing the comment, wah!!!
Lafeministe
Is the flower shop you mentioned.. up on Marcaz by the Mcdonald? If not I find that place really nice with lots of cute and unusual flowers.. great for arranging and cheap too :)
Here's what I originally had said:
I love going to my pharmacist because he gives me mini-Hebrew lessons and recaps the Baha'i lectures at Haifa University.
I like going to Fresco, well, because we go there often so they know us. And one of the young women who works there always says "Bone Appetite" when she serves us pizza. That makes me smile.
I like walking in the Merkaz/Ahuza area because it is clean and full of life.
I like looking out our front window at the ships in the bay. When my father was here he did the same and told me so much about them that it reminds me of him when I watch the ships.
I like watering my backyard. It gives a sense of calm control.
I like recycling our plastic bottles - physically putting them in the bin. It reminds me that I live here, that I am grounded, that I belong here and it lets me feel like I am contributing to it.
I love eating the labane and zaatar pizza at the little hole in the wall on Allenby. It's scrumptious, definitely Middle East specific and makes me feel like I know a great secret!
Love,
Lafeministe
p.s. then I said "gee, maybe I should post this on my blog" :-)
There used to be a juice shop up in the Mercaz that squeezed practically any kind of fruit you wanted. We would often get watermelon or pomegranate. You cannot find such a place in the US.
I also like the little falafel place in the Wadi (back on some side street where you would never think to look).
-Kristin
Post a Comment