Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Evolving worldview update

I'm beginning to be convinced that the world is robustly beautiful. Living on daily doses of beauty seems to be sharpening, not dulling my senses. Actually I feel like I went through a bit of a swing. I remember on first arriving, being sort of dazed by all the beauty, at that time it was particularly the architecture and interior decoration of the buildings here that struck me. After a while that impression faded, and I felt like I couldn't see the beauty in these things anymore. But then I started to tune into the beauty of the gardens, of individual plants, of foliage. And now I feel like more and more kinds of beauty keep surfacing out of the world I walk through and presenting themselves to me. Sometimes, the more subtile they are, the more moving. I can feel my conceptions of beauty break open and expand. And, and this is the part that is exciting me now, it seems like there may be an endless supply of beauty in the world. Can it be? Yesterday I noticed how well the green of some plant went with the color of its flowers, and began to check other plans to see if the green of the foliage seemed to match the flower color. Today I was watching the breeze passing through a section of garden and noticed the different types of movements this caused in different plants. Some jiggle, some wave, some billow, and it's all so expressive and full of life. How many more things are there in this world to cause wonder and delight?

1 comment:

Shingo said...

Dear Selvi,
I love the way you see beauty in the things that many people take for granted!
much love
amelia