Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Last B-day before giving birth myself
A friend asked me to post about what I'd done for my birthday, which was the last of my pre-mom life. We're very low key about birthdays, and I'd actually forgotten until I received a B-day email from a friend. Anyway, I decided to treat myself by trying to recreate a family tradition of tea and cookies that I enjoyed as a child. I'm trying to avoid sugar and have given up black tea, so it had been a while. I got some decaf Earl Grey and a package of oatmeal raisin cookies. I also got a can of condensed milk, because I thought it might give the tea a flavor more similar to what I remember from Africa. I invited MBH, who works in the same building as me, to come and have an afternoon break with me. It was nice, but I must say that tea never, never tastes like what I remember, and the cookies were too sweet. I didn't actually think very much about the fact that I was celebrating something that I'd soon be experiencing from a very different perspective. Too bad, I might have done something more profound than giving myself and Juju a sugar crash.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I forgot when your birthday is. Is it in August? Sarah's birthday is Aug.3. I like the name Juju and it sounds lovely. I remember now how much you loved tea when you were my roomie. I have to send you some good Chinese green tea later. Liang
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! i think your birthdays will be even lovelier when you have little juju to celebrate with you. :)
i remember tea with condensed milk in africa!! yes it was VERY VERY good and hard to get anywhere else. you probably need the environment to go along with it to make it a true african tea :)
Post a Comment