There is lots going on baby-wise these days. She has become very interactive. It started with a head shake mimic game, and now it's a wrinkled nose and sniff sniff mimic game. She's found her voice and has taken to screeching blood-curdlingly at inopportune moments. She's also saying mama and baba. She seems to know that we like to hear them, but I dont think she knows they are words. Yesterday and today in the bath she said first one and then the other right after each other. I'm watching to see whether she might somehow associate one with me and one with her daddy. The tooth is still just a little ridge, but she's using it. Yesterday when I put her down for her nap she started gnawing on the crib bars. She probably thought she could chew her way out, but she'll need more teeth to do that.
Motherhood is feeling more comfortable. I'm still very surprised from to realize time to time that I have a child. I had registered the fact that I have a baby, but the implications of that are only gradually becoming clear. I guess that now I'm starting to feel a bit like my old self, coming out of the too-many-hormones, too-little-sleep, existential-rug-pulled-out-from-under-me haze, I suddenly have to reconcile the old self with the new life. It helps that I'm seeing much more of the other mamas and little ones these days. It helps that she is becoming more and more fun, and more independent. I feel like I can sometimes just soak her in, savor the moment, rejoice in the gift of being with her.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
so glad you are writing again. i just appreciate so much your lack of pretense, the simplicity and delicate sweetness of your humor and clear uncluttered honesty. i just love it. i really miss your writing and hope you will find time to do more of it.
Well, Selvi, it's good to know there is an end to the too-many-hormones, too-little-sleep, existential-rug-pulled-out-from-under-me haze. And just how much longer I have to go before I can expect to see the other side of it.
I'm definitely right there with you on how long it takes to realize you're a mother and the implications of it. Again, it's good to know I may settle into this after a while. It can rather unsettling to feel this way!
Post a Comment