1 vote in favor of a girl
Indicator: Mother looks well = girl: Mother doesn’t look well=boy
A girl baby is compatible (hormonally?) with the mom’s female system and a boy baby is not.
2 votes in favor of a boy
Indicator: Mother looks well=boy; Mother doesn’t look well =girl
A girl baby sucks all the beauty out of the mother to herself, but a boy makes her beautiful.
1 vote in favor of a girl
Indicator: Belly pointing toward the front=girl; Belly wide out to the sides=boy
1 vote in favor of a boy
Indicator: Belly pointing toward the front=boy; Belly wide out to the sides= girl
1 vote in favor of a girl
Indicator: Something about the way the mother walk. I had to walk across the room taking a couple steps and then stopping and then taking a couple more and stopping again and so on. I didn’t get the full explanation, sorry.
Tally:
Actually two of the votes for a boy were from the same person, but since two independent methods were used, I’ll count them both and say it’s a tie of 3 to 3.
As you can see, it’s been fun hearing what different cultures say. Observers seem to agree that I look well and that my belly points forward, even though they do not agree on what that means.
Sunday, April 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
selvi, this is TOO FUNNY! how well i remember those prenatal guesses at the gender (especially since we didn't find out until Carmel was born). thanks for this post, it really made me laugh.
love, sarah
I was always curious about what a greater diversity of methods would reveal and wanted to see it all in one place..could i ask which cultures were represented?
The cultures represented were Persian (which came in two opposite versions), Central Asian, Indian, and unknown (which might be Persian).
I have the feeling that these traditions might be more specific than country and region. Different ethnic groups, or maybe even different towns or villages might have different methods.
When I told Ingo about your tally, he speculated that there is an old superstition in Denmark that says if you hold a pendulum over your belly and it moves clockwise, it's a boy (and in Sweden that means it's a girl ...)
I guess, then that without actually holding the pendulum, I can add one vote to each side:
Tally to date 4 to 4
selvi :) i also used to enjoy the many theories. My "mothers intuition", round belly and general 'looking well' made me quite certain that it was a boy...i was very surprized when Shingo announced it was a girl soon after delivery. Anyway, another theory; my Bolivian friends used to tell me that if you can tell that you're pregnant when looking at you from behind, then it's a girl. (of course, they were too polite to tell me whether i looked like a 'wide load' from behind :):)
That's funny. I'll have to try to figure out if I'm a wide load. Maybe it's too early to tell.
The one I got the other day was because my face was all swollen (apparently) it must be a girl.
Will let you know how it turns out
Enjoyed a lot! training shoes Scholarship for in-state http://www.pictureofbmwcar.info/Acura_integra_widebody_kits.html 1997 acura 2 2cl Zithromax trockensaft Hair removal epilators electrolysis Ferrari 125 sport gerneric vardenafil method patent drug double selection Laptop rental valparaiso 2004 acura rsx type r Best cover foam mattress pad
That's a great story. Waiting for more. accounting degree online male model Air purifier blueair Blendamed white strips professional Jim thorpe seattle area mortgage broker various internet marketing Online owner quote insurance home hot naked milfs Taking meridia while on paxil impotence West milford museum tennis tournament Epson inkjet cleaner pay per click program travel mexico Man jogging in park business card spy digital camera Lotto zufallsgenerator Elta 8882 dvd player mpeg4
Post a Comment