Saturday, July 01, 2006

More about Denmark

The photos didn’t really turn out well. And actually I often forgot to take pictures when something interesting was happening anyway. The first one I took was of the waiting room in the airport when I landed. The chairs were really nice Danish design chairs, and it struck me how luxurious they seemed, and how you’d only put chairs like that there if you knew that they’d last for a while. A very different feeling than you get in most other airports. It made me think, and I had sort of mixed feelings about it. Later, when I went to the Museum of Decorative Arts in Copenhagen, I saw the same chair in a display about the development of Danish design, which sort of confirmed my train of thought.

Anyway, here are some of the nice things I did:

Went to the nursery with my in-laws and helped choose a pretty and interesting-looking plant. After they repotted it, they were unsure whether it would survive, so I’m waiting for an update from them.

Made raisin buns for “coffee”. Baking in cold weather is so cozy.

Ate Norwegian brown cheese, which I’d been craving (yummy on the aforementioned raisin buns) and my favorite Danish pastry, called "te birkes". It's a puff pastry with poppy seed on top and a little marzipan in the filling.

Rode the train to Copenhagen and enjoyed the scenery. I like train rides.

Saw friends and had the chance to catch up a little bit on the last four years. There wasn’t really enough time, nor did I have enough energy, to see everyone I would have liked to see, or to spend as much time with them as I’d have liked, but I enjoyed what I was able to manage. Several of my friends have had babies since we last saw each other and it was interesting to see them interacting with their children and discuss motherhood.

Met in person a like-minded soul that I’d virtually met blogwise.

Attended the celebration of the “Declaration of the Báb” at the Bahá’í Center with a friend. It was nice to be there again, see friends and feel how things were both the same and different at the same time. The Center has had some renovations done since we left, and I was looking forward to seeing them. We used to be the caretakers there. It looked great.

Heard a nightingale singing.

Went to the ballet (there’s a same-day half-price ticket deal at the Royal Theatre, which I always kick myself for not having used more often)

Started teaching a friend to knit.

Did some shopping: maternity clothes and fabric mostly (including a small piece of a liberty print, if that means anything to anyone). A friend got me a pair of rubber boots, which was on my list and I’m so glad to have (our street is badly drained and in rainy weather it’s hard to leave the house, and I didn’t Juju and me to be trapped at home this winter).

Did the internal evaluation of the thesis. There’s a lot left to do and I won’t finish before Juju arrives. But I’ll feel much more confident about the thesis if I'm able to incorporate all the comments and sgugestions I got. One of the best things was that I’m going to write a lot more about the Bahá’í perspective on development; that will be challenging but exciting and fun to do.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you for this list of your activities, it makes me feel so close to you. And, I would like to comment on how balanced it is.
I hear a pregnant woman behind the brown cheese and raisin buns!
Would love to hear a nightingale! And would love to have a picture of your new boots :)...maybe in the very deep water you mentioned.
How was the ballet?
I enjoyed reading about your blog friend's comments about yarn that actually smells like sheep!
I look forward to reading your thesis...if that is ok.
kisses, laura

child_of_africa said...

hi dear one,

so glad to read your update and also to see a picture of Juju!! :) and to see lovely pictures of you on "love from leila" of which i am an avid reader.

glad to hear your thesis is getting wrapped up. i took a "just do it" approach to my dissertation, set myself some must meet deadlines and let it be whatever it was with the expectation that i would continue developing it at a later stage.

please do continue to give updates on the impending arrival of juju and afterwards notes on her early life :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Illness accident insurance us withdrawal problems with celexa farmers insurance in car digital tv tuner v557 moto phone tools craig radar detector Compatable dvd r for dvd players E46 sports bumper http://www.side-affects-of-zocor-medicine.info/Car-rentals-with-rimstv-apossdvdcdsound-system.html